Posted: 27th March 2017
Posted in: Recipes
If you follow me on Instagram, @lonijane or have my Recipe and Lifestyle EBOOK you would be well aware of one of my most famous recipes, The Loni Jane Rawnola! I created this recipe using 3 ingredients back in 2012 and it quickly became a instagram sensation! so proud of you Rawnola, for satisfying so many cravings and people around the world! hehe.
Life is not complete without a big batch of it in the fridge. It’s a part of my weekly food prep and it saves me every time, when I’m hungry, busy, snacking, craving, smoothie bowling, traveling and kids...! Plus it's filling and very good for you. No additives, no chemicals, no artificial flavours, no added vitamins, no msg, no preservatives… ok, you get the drift.
Oats pack quite the protein fibre punch as well as good slow releasing carbs, the dates help you with digestion and elimination of waste and are full of B vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin which assist the body greatly in the breakdown of sugars, energy production, and emotional wellbeing. The almond milk is very alkalising (most western diets are way to acid forming bringing our bodies PH level down below 7.0 which causes havoc on the body) drinking almond milk and eating lots of plant food helps balance that acid and bring the ph back to its prime alkaline state of 7.3. Almonds are also packed full of calcium, iron, and magnesium, making it the perfect milk for us to consume and no animals were harmed, impregnated, or tortured for our cereal to be enjoyable.
Here are some of my favourite ways to eat and use Rawnola! Straight out of the jar, in a jar with berris 'to-go', rolled into bliss balls, soaked over night in milk, chocolate Rawnola, as cereal with home made milk and other toppings, baked in the oven to make chewy crunchy maple Rawnola, or on a smoothie bowl or sliced fruit! So many different ways to enjoy Rawnola.
Scroll down to see some pictures and the get recipes!
RAWNOLA // YOU WILL NEED
You can halve the recipe if you want a smaller batch jar.
2 cups of pitted dates
2 cups of raw rolled oats
2 cups of dried coconut
2 tbs pure maple syrup or brown rice malt syrup (optional)
*Ingredients may vary and you many need more dates or more oats depending on how dewy your dates are or the texture of your oats.
*raw vegan chocolate or cocoa or cacao powder (if you're making the chocolate version)
- Using your large food processor, add equal amounts of all ingredients except for maple syrup.
- Blend and pulse until desired consistency
- (If you are making the chocolate version add ¼ of a cup of vegan chocolate or cocoa or cacao powder (I get mine from The Source Bulk Foods, they have like 30 stores across Australia now, yew!)
- When combined well. Slowly drizzle a small amount of maple syrup while pulsing,(remember this sweetener is optional and only really used if you need the sweetness or the stickiness)
- Store in glass jar in the fridge for 2 weeks, I would be very surprised if you can keep this stuff in your fridge that long without eating it all hehe.
ALMOND MILK // YOU WILL NEED
1 cup of almonds
1 pitted Medjool date
The almond milk will store in tight sealed glass jar/bottle in the fridge for around 5 days, it could be longer but I have never let it go that long cause well I drink it all! Hehe.
- Place your almonds in a glass jar and top it with water, let the almonds soak for 12- 24 hours. By soaking them it releases the protein inhibitor and makes the almonds much easier for us to digest and absorb its nutrients that it has on offer.
- After soaking the almonds, rinse them well with fresh water then place the clean almonds in a high speed blender with 1 liter / 1000mls of fresh drinking water plus ½ tsp of vanilla (this could be any type of pure extract) + one pitted date (this is used as a sweetener and is totally optional)
- Blend on high for 4 minutes
- Have your nut milk bag or cheesecloth ready over a large bowl
- (please make sure you wash your hands well before the next step)
- Pour the mixture into the nut milk bag and strain through while squeezing all the liquid out of the pulp
- Using a funnel or pouring jug, pour the milk into a glass bottle with tight seal lid and store in the fridge for up to 5 days.
CEREAL RECIPE // YOU WILL NEED
(use desired amount)
- Add the Rawnola to bowl, then top with fresh berries such as blackberries and blueberries (you can use any berries you like!)
- Pour fresh homemade almond milk on top and you have yourself your own vegan homemade cereal that tastes seriously epic.
MAPLE TOASTED RAWNOLA RECIPE // YOU WILL NEED
2 cups of rolled oats (don’t use oatmeal or instant oats, well I guess you can but it won’t be that same obvs)
2 cups of raw dried coconut flakes
3 tbs pure maple syrup (pure maple is 100% maple syrup with nothing added)
Ingredients may vary and you many need more dates or more oats depending on how dewy your dates are or the texture of your oats.
- In a high-speed blender or a food processor add in your dates first then add the coconut then the oats on top, (don’t add maple syrup yet) this will create the best blend and consistency, if you do it the other way around and put the dates in last they may not blend well and you will end up with powder oats and chunks of dates = not what you were going for.
- Its also more about pulsing than blending, just keep pulsing it to get it mixed together evenly. If you just continuously blend then it can just process half the mixture into a paste and the other half it still too chunky.
- Once you have the consistency perfect, scoop out the mixture onto a clean oven tray (you may want to use baking paper if you wish) the tray I use is fine without paper.
- Spread it out evenly onto the tray then pour on you maple syrup, lightly toss to ensure the mixture is coated well
- Place the tray into the middle of the oven at 180 (celsius) for 10 minutes. Now this does vary depending on your personal oven so please keep and eye on the mixture and toss it at least once in the time, if it is browning too fast then toss it and turn the heat down. You don’t want your mixture to cook too much because you still want a slight chewiness to it.
- When the mixture is done allow it to cool slightly and then add it to a glass jar and store in the fridge, better yet put the warm mixture on ice cream straightaway! ooooh so dreamy!
CHECK OUT MY EBOOKS HERE FOR MORE YUMMY RECIPES!
I hope you love and enjoy Everything Rawnola!
Loni Jane x